Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spanakopita and Tomato Salad


When I was a kid I never liked spinach (or squash). Funny... when you become an adult your taste change. Now I love the stuff, I don't think there is a vegetable I don't enjoy eating. This is a simple recipe, that involves using tofu in replace of the feta. I read the other day in one of my cookbooks, that tofu is not bread, its more like flour, which I thought was a great way to describe it to the tofu-haters out there in the world. It needs to be seasoned and cooked!

My beau loves tomatoes. That is way I think I have about 40 of them growing in my basement :P I think he is more excited about them then I am. The tomato seeds are from Saltspring Seed Comapany, he bought me a bunch of different kinds in hopes that we would have a tomato farm!
This is his favorite salad, very simple and delicious.


On a plate arrange the tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, with chopped fresh parsley. Drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkled with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

On to the spankopita....

Phyllo dough ( read the ingredients, some brands are not vegan)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion- small diced
3 cloves garlic-minced
1/2 block tofu- crumbled
6 mushrooms- sliced and chopped
1 box frozen chopped spinach- (squeezed to get all the water out, you want it dry)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp dried dill
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 lemon-juiced
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
pasty brush, with a small bowl of olive oil

In a saute pan heat oil, add onion saute for 4-5 minutes until onion is soft, add garlic, continue sauteing for 2-3 minutes, add crumbled tofu. Stir around until tofu is soft, add mushrooms and cook until soft.
Add the spinach, un-clump it in the pan, stirring it up to incorporate it in with the tofu.
Add the seasonings.Taste. Remove from heat and let cool.

On a dry surface, roll out the phyllo dough. Using 1 sheet at a time, brush it with oil. Layering until you have 4 sheets brushed with olive oil. Scoop the spinach mixture onto the phyllo. Roll up, or if you fell like getting creative you can try different rolling techniques. Close up the end and place roll on a parchment paper lined pan. Brush the top of the roll with olive oil and bake at 400 degree oven for 25 minutes or until golden.

3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing... I love spinach :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why the people like salad including me? because in salad we can eat many things in a single dish (salad). Some people like it because it have low fatty ingredients, mostly the people who think about dieting they like it because of its ingredients. I really appreciated this spanakopita and tomato salad, because it is easy to make and i really like tomato very much. Thank you so much for this spanakopita and tomato salad recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to see greek recipes to foreign sites :)

    ReplyDelete