Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth day, hanging out in Nova Scotia


It is Earth Day..and what a beautiful day to celebrate this gorgeous planet.  This is what I see everyday when I wake up eat breakfast, lunch and dinner to the time I go to bed. I feel very fortunate to get to live in such a beautiful place.

I watched "no impact man" the other week and I thought it was good. It got me thinking about toilet paper, toothpaste, laundry soap, house hold cleaners, etc. All the things that I thought were "essential".
I use cloth diapers for my little one, so why wouldn't I use cloth for toilet paper?  It makes sense, no? My bloggie friend crooked moon mama, uses cloth for toilet paper, check it out, such a cute set up.

I have a couple Earth Day resolutions for myself. I really want to cut down on my families consumption of plastic, everything is either wrapped, stored or sold in it. So its hard to eliminate it, but now that I am more aware of it I try my best. ( for example when you buy mushrooms, there is a choice of buying pre packaged mushrooms, in plastic or you can choose your own and put them in a paper bag:)

My family and I are pretty earth friendly, but there is always room for improvement. Here are a couple little things I would like to change: 1. Stop putting the vegetables that I buy at the grocery store in those produce bags. I want to try and sew some of my own. 2. Start using fabric for toilet paper ( at least for #1's)

What are you earth day resolutions? If you get the chance read " The Lorax" by dr.seuss. Its a good one.

"Catch! calls the Once-ler.
He lets something fall.
It's a Truffula Seed.
It's the last one of all!
You're in charge of the last of the Truffula Seeds.
And Truffula Trees are what everyone needs.
Plant a new Truffula. Treat it with care.
Give it clean water. And feed it fresh air.
Grow a forest. Protect it from axes that hack.
Then the Lorax
and all of his friends
may come back."

- Dr. Seuss


A picture of my tomato seedlings, I think they are getting excited to be planted outside!



6 comments:

  1. OMG! Kirsten--that is the most beautiful place I have ever seen! I would love to move to Canada--I even said so to my husband yesterday! I am such a Northener at heart--but have these Southern roots I've grown during the last twenty years. My heart loves the cold--despite my veggie love/gardening. I could so love living someplace like that! You are very lucky! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea for the wipes and yes, cute presentation:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to plant things in my garden.. The problem is I don't have a garden yet. :) But thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kirsten. I just found your blog (love the signature photo - I have the same set, but they have never posed as beautifully as yours).

    Keep up the fine bloggin',

    Dan (on a small island on Canada's other side)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly...I have lived coast to coast in Canada, and without a doubt this the most beautiful. I am not so fond of the cold winters, they seem to last for EVER!:P

    Alice in Paris...so glad you checked out
    MoonMama! She is a really cool lady.

    Sook...Have you checked out any community gardens? I always see them around, and think how fun it would be.

    Dan..thanks for checking out my site. I love my Pyrex bowls, I have a small collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful view...makes me want some hot tea. :)
    Yes! Go for the family cloth for sure! Great post. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete