Saturday, April 24, 2010

Caesar salad with pumpkin seeds


We had a spaghetti dinner tonight...I used my basic tomato sauce and a little TVP for "bolognese" style. This salad was an after thought, but it was the star for sure. I didn't have any capers, so I use a dill pickle.I cubed up some flax bread , with a quick toss in olive oil and a few spices, on a baking sheet in the oven for 6 minutes and you got croutons. I added toasted pumpkin seeds for a little twist. I am sure that there is many types of caesar dressing, this is what I threw together.

  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 medium pickle- chopped
  • 1/4 cup soy milk
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 lemon-juiced
  • vegetable oil
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper

In a blender put all ingredients except for oil. Blend. Remove lid and slowly pour oil into pickle mixture, until thickens to a creamy consistency. Pour into a jar and keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.

6 comments:

  1. I love Caesar salad. Pumpkin seed sounds like a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sook...I am a lover of the Caesar as well, but I never liked the traditional type with the anchovies, ewww :) The pumpkin seeds are a nice touch, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOve it and LOVE pumpkin seed sin anything. Try a few shakes of smoked sea salt next time...it adds an amazing complex caesery taste. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo...smoked sea salt..YES! I will try that next time, thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the jelly isn't a PB&J any more. A "caesar " salad without the dressing (there is a total of 1 caesar dressings) is just a salad.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  6. "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
    — Frank Zappa

    ReplyDelete