Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pierogies- caramelized onion, cabbage and potato


There is something to be said about dough stuffed with potato then sauteed in butter. Whats the word I'm looking for? YUM!  These are pretty time consuming but well worth the effort.
I made the filling first, caramelized onions with cabbage.
I boiled potatoes and used my trusty ricer to mash them. Season the mixture with dried mustard, sea salt, freshly ground pepper and 3 tbsp of earth balance.
Next I made the dough which consisted of
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup water
I kneaded it until it was soft and smooth, then let it rest for 30 minutes in a bowl while I washed up the dishes. Then I pulled out my pasta roller ( a gift from my dad).  Cut the dough into 4 sections. Start on number 1 and work your way down to number 5.  If you don't have a pasta roller, get out the old rolling pin and get rolling!
Another great invention: Ring molds/cutters(another gift from my dad:)  Cut out rounds and place a little ball of the potato mixture in the middle.  Pull the dough together and press down firmly.
Once you have no more dough. You can either eat them, or freeze them for later.  Bring a pot of water to boil.  Place the pierogies into the pot,wait until they float up to the surface.  Drain. Heat up a pan with earth  balance or oil.  Add the pierogies and cook until golden. I like mine with sauted mushrooms.
One recipe makes about 52 pierogies. If you have potato mixture left you can always make potato cakes!




12 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm convinced: I am trying pierogies! Those look amazing! And all of the dough left over would not last long in this house, trust me! How sweet of your dad to get you the pasta maker! I love mine, don't you love it? I think we have the same one--crank it by hand is the only way to go--great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe especially with all the step by step pics and instructions! Thanks a lot! I have not had these since 2002! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly...You must try pierogies. They are the best little dumplings ever! My dad is such a good guy, he bought me the pasta maker for my birthday when I was living in Montreal. I don't use it as often as I should, but when I do, I know why I wanted it:)Yes it is a crank by hand,I find it very meditative. Thanks.

    Noelle...2002!! that is crazy. You must make these. I want to try and make a vegan gyoza:)
    It was fun taking the pictures, glad you like'm:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dumplings! Pierogies are one of my favourite foods in the world! This looks incredibly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, these dumplings look amazing. I want to make them soon. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look tasty! My folks live near Philly and I've heard horror stories about pierogies. Greasy little buggers that they are. I just may make your version for them this weekend. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. what is the recipe for the potato filling?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The filling is mashed potatoes, shredded cabbage and onions sauteed with dried mustard, sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The guideline viability of a private look that can help you generally keep, prepared yourself just as cause segments diet system just as to perform like endeavors similarly as with dishwashing.new lg refrigerator t making ice

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really cool post. I love this kitchen. It is completely the style that would fit me.ge refrigerator reset button

    ReplyDelete
  11. so pleasant assortment never seen such uncommon things kitchen cloths. much obliged for sharing this data.new lg refrigerator not making ice

    ReplyDelete