Tuesday, November 2, 2010

White bean & swiss chard quick cassoulet


We are on day 2 of Vegan MOFO and I noticed that some other vegan bloggers have a plan of action, which is probably a really good idea. I started to think up a bit of a menu plan for the rest of the week. I have been craving leafy greens lately...I thought I would act on it so another soupy stew it is!


Traditionally a cassoulet is loaded up with meat, cooked slowly in the oven and it originated in France, but I am not a traditional kinda girl so I changed it to be vegan and cooked quickly in a pot on the stove. I guess it would not be a cassoulet but I like how it sounds, so I am going with it :P

3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion- small diced
2 stalks celery-small diced
1 carrot- peeled, small diced
3 cloves garlic- crushed
5 springs of thyme
1 bay leaf
5 cups vegetable stock
1 tomato- chopped
1 medium potato- peeled, small diced
2 cups white beans- I used kidney
4 cups shredded swiss chard
splash of balsamic vinegar
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

In a large pot on low medium heat add oil and saute onion until soft, add celery,carrot, garlic, thyme( left on the stick), bay leaf, season with salt and pepper, continue cooking on low heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
Add vegetable stock, tomato, potato, beans. Simmer on low heat until thickens, about 20 minutes.Add swiss chard. Season with salt and pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
Serve with fresh bread.

The bowl in the picture my daughter painted when she was 4. She painted a set of dishes for me with little monsters and creatures, every one is different... I love them.








3 comments:

  1. I love the dishes for sure. Hmmmm, yummy cassoulet sounds perfect this morning. I am cold. Happy MoFO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want your daughter to make my son a set of dishes. He would love her buggy creations. Haha! This dish has my stomach growling and looks perfect for the weather we're having and to combat this cold I think I've come down with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noelle..its getting cold here too, time for toques and mitts!

    Pretend Chef...buggy creations! haha. We made them at a paint your own clay dishes place. Super fun. I got her to paint her dad a mug one year, there fun to make.

    ReplyDelete