Thursday, July 8, 2010

Vegetable pate


I love snacks...I prefer eating little snacks through out the day, then sitting down to breakfast and lunch. I love munching on raw veggies with a homemade bean dip, or smothering a tortilla with avocado and rolling it up. YUM. The ultimate snacking food has to be veggie pate, on crackers ( even better fresh baguette) with pickles :)
Vege pate is easy to make, you should try it! The possibilities are endless... you could add zucchini, mushrooms...etc.

For this I used a sweet potato, carrot, celery and onion. I learned how to make vege pate from a restaurant I use to work at. It was my favorite thing to eat. I tried hard to remember what I did, and Googled it.

For this pate basically I blended up the onion until it was very smooth and liquidy, add some oil, water and red wine vinegar. Pureed that until smooth. Add a peeled chopped up ( really small) veggies. The secret ingredient is ground up sunflower seeds. A few more things like the spices you like, I used dill and oregano. Add some sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in a little flour and nutritional yeast. Pour into a loaf pan.  Bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes, or until its formed a crust on the top. Refrigerate.

This particular picture I used a mini loaf pan that I picked up at a garage sale. It would be great to set out at a BBQ for a little appetizer.

Easy Peezy! I hope you make some.

5 comments:

  1. So simple, but I bet it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, it's actually spreadable? Last one I made was crumblyable. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria Rose...It is very simple, its pretty amazing. My family loves it, always asking me to make more :)

    MoonMama...Yes its spreadable...you proabably didn't have enough liquid in yours. I think the trick is blending the onion so that its runny enough to drink. (ewww, I would never drink onion :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really good, but mine tasted a bit like stuffing (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). The spices I added were basil, oregano and thyme--and the vegetables I used were zucchini, mushroom, onion and carrot. Next time, I think I would try to make it with cilantro and perhaps dill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear friends, Brahmakumaris are vegetarian... and emphasize that when cooking in a peaceful, loving frame of mind, the resulting food will nourish the emotions as well as the body. There is Brahmakumaris meditation...that relaxes the mind...nurtures a healthy balance between inner and outer worlds... recharge... rejuvenate the inner-self... From Gita

    ReplyDelete