Sunday, May 16, 2010

Chai granola breakfast parfait


Granola...the ultimate "hippie" food (granola people, good for a laugh). Whatever, I love it! Especially the aroma, when its baking in the oven.  This is a great alternative to all the crap cereal out there in the world.

For the parfait part I used a "fancy" glass, as my daughter likes to call it. Scooped a little raspberry soy yogurt into the bottom, sprinkled granola over top, finished with another blob of the yogurt and frozen wild blueberry's.


This recipe is adapted from the Rebar cookbook, one of my favorites pre-vegan. You can add whatever dried fruit, nuts or seeds you love, that's the best part. Its super easy to make and keeps in an airtight container for up to a month!!

  • 4 cups traditional rolled oats
  • 1 cup kamut flakes
  • 1/2 cup oat bran
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup almonds ( sliced, whole, or slivered)
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 Tbsp ground cardamon
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground clove
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup raisins


Combine all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
In a smaller bowl, whisk wet together.
Pour wet into dry and stir until evenly coated.
Spread into two 9 by 13 cake pans ( so when you stir it up, it stay in the pan).
Bake at 275, stirring it up every 15 minutes for 45 minutes.
Bake until lightly golden.
Add raisins once cooled.


12 comments:

  1. Yum!! I'll have to try this - I love chai!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds super lovely. Have you made granola bars before and if so, do you have a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer...I love chai too! It is especially good in baked goods.

    Noelle...I have made granola bars before. Unfortunately they didn't turn out that great :P
    Maybe I will try to make a batch again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirsten, What a lovely little breakfast presentation! I love granola and hippies (I married one--a hippy, that is--the real deal from the sixties) so I should do fine eating this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home made granola is so delicious! And usually not as sweet as the store bought one. Your recipe sounds really delicious. Mm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your Top 9!!By the way, you won the Primal Jerky, so now I can send that to you along with the rice coupons I forgot to send you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just happened upon your blog. Love the recipes, love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful idea for my breakfast. I can give up on my boring oats and fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about granola! This looks like a great recipe! Love the glass!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I eat granola almost every day!!
    It's fun to add stuff and make it fancy for the girls...like banana soft serve or coconut kefir.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. closest ive gotten to parfait is the mc donalds parfait...urs look so much healthier and delicious!

    ReplyDelete