Monday, May 10, 2010

Lentil Vegetable Soup


A made a simple lentil vegetable soup for dinner tonight, rustic I suppose. I didn't fuss around, just put a few ingredients in a large pot and simmered it for about hour and half. It was super yummy and easy to make.

I like to serve this type of soup with a loaf of good bread and a salad. Who says dinner has to be hard? I literally threw this together in about 15 minutes, and left it to cook on the stove (on low), left the house even for 40 minutes!

I also got some goodies in the mail this afternoon. Edward and Sons sent me a box of products to try, which is always fun. I love getting things via snail mail :)


The brown rice snaps didn't last long...they were tasty. The miso cup soup was really good, I was out all day running errands and when I got home I decided to try it and  I really was quite impressed with the taste. Most instant soups have a weird plastic taste, but this one was TASTY! There is 3 servings in a pack and each package contains two small envelopes one for miso paste, the other has dehydrated tofu, seaweed and green onions. I really love miso soup, and Edward and Sons made it easy to enjoy.

Lentil Vegetable Soup
  • 1 medium onion- small diced
  • 2 cloves garlic-minced
  • 3 carrots-peeled and small diced
  • 1 stalk celery- small diced
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
  • water to cover( about 7 cups)
  • 1 small potato- peeled and small diced
  • 1 cup green lentils
  • 1 Roma tomato- small diced 
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper

In a pot saute the onion, garlic, carrots and celery, for 3-4 minutes
Add spices and cover with water. Add lentils, potato, and tomato. Bring to a boil.
Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the lentils are soft. Season with sea salt and pepper.

3 comments:

  1. The perfect food in my book: comfort! This looks so yummy and good and great for all the rain we've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo I have all the ingredients already!! hmmm perhaps I will have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple lentils soup wil always be my favourite soup! I love the flavour of lentils so much and a good lentil soup is alwys welcome to me.

    ReplyDelete