Friday, April 2, 2010

Coconut Banana Cream Pie


Ever since I became vegan I have dreamed about making this pie. I am a dessert lover... chocolate, strawberries, cookies, pastry, cake, you name it. I love it! This morning I really wanted to make something sweet and for some reason I couldn't stop thinking about this pie.

I looked in my fridge but I was out of vegetable shortening and since its a holiday, making a trip to the store was out of the question. The other week I got a huge jar of coconut oil in the mail, from Tropical Traditions, and like I said I have never really worked with it before.  It has the similar consistency of vegetable shortening, I decided to make the pie crust with it. It turned out perfect, flaky and the smell of coconut wafted throughout the house.

The filling is similar to a vanilla pudding with a hint of cardamom. I just bought a packet of agar agar that I found at an Asian grocery store the other week. Which helps to set it.

Crust

1 cup flour
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp salt
6- 8 tbsp water

In a large bowl combine flour and salt. With two knifes (or a pastry cutter) blend the coconut oil into the flour until it resembles course sand. Add the water little at a time until it is easy to squish into a ball. Don't over work the dough or it will be tough when cooked.
Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes

Filling

1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cane sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp agar agar powder
2 cups soy milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cardamom

In a sauce pan, mix together dry ingredients. On medium high heat, add soy milk, 1 cup at a time and whisk until thickens (usually takes about 6-10 minutes) If you get clumps whisk harder. Stir in vanilla and cardamom. Allow to slightly cool before adding it to pre baked pie crust.

To make the pie: Slice bananas (2) and arrange on the pie crust, pour filling over top.
For the top of the pie: Slice banana (1) and squeeze lemon juice over and sprinkle with sugar, arrange on top of the pie. Crush peanuts and a chocolate drizzle makes it even better!

11 comments:

  1. The crust looks flaky. Next time I should try using coconut oil for my pie crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so making this! YUM YUM!! Thanks Kirsten! I have been wanting to use my agar agar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm your newest follower via Foodbuzz! :)
    Come take a look at my Food Blog http://shamrockandshenanigans.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I so want to taste this one, gorgeous cake with perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow that sounds amazing and looks totally beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I always make desserts and pastries with bananas or coconut as base ingredients, it's only now that I realized that they can be awesome when combined. This pie sounds so easy to make that I must try! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great. Making this for Easter. Check. Done. Yummy.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is truly a work of art! OMG what a glorious pie! I am a huge fan of TT's coco oil and have more than i know what to do with (my raw vegan coconut oil chocolate is good but one should only eat so much LOL). Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This pie looks delicious. I already saved it in my favorite list. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. would almond meal work as a replacement for regular flour?

    ReplyDelete