Monday, February 4, 2013

Vegan 'Sfeeha'


As I sit here and write this post I am eating yummy 'vegan sfeeha' other wise known as 'meat' pies. I put my own twist on this traditional recipe by veganizing it!!


This little delicacy comes from  Lebanon. I recently joined 'the secret recipe club', where you get sent a blog that you may have never discovered otherwise, and have to pick recipe from their collection, and make it. Lucky me I to get chef in disguise, this lady rocks! Orthodontist by day/chef at night. And she has great recipes that I am looking forward to veganizing more of.



After scrolling through her delicious looking photos, I settled on the 'sfeeha'. Little pastries filled with savoury goodness. I thought it would be a good first attempt, and I was right! These taste like awesomeness.  I didn't have some of the ingredients that Sawsan used but I thought I could manage to make it tasty with what I had on hand....I kept the recipe for her dough, which is amazing.



'Sfeeha'- Veganized 
makes 12 

Dough:

3/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp yeast
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil

Filling:

3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion
2 stalks celery-minced
1 clove garlic
1/2 package of Yves veggie ground round
1 tsp sage
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tsp molasses
1 tbsp tahini
3-4 tbsp of water
freshly ground pepper
sea salt to taste



For the dough sprinkle the sugar into the water in a small bowl, add yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes and foam. In a medium sized bowl combine flour and salt, pour the water into the flour and mix with a spoon until forms a ball. Flour surface and knead dough for 7-8 minutes, unitl smooth. Pour olive oil into a bowl, place dough in and give it a spin, to coat. Cover with a towel and let rise until double its size. ( appox 2 hours).

Once dough has risen, roll into golf ball sized portions and set on a tray. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.

For the filling. Heat pan and add oil. Saute onion, garlic and celery until soft. Add veggie ground round and stir until well combined. Add the rest of the ingredients and contiune to cook until soft and hot. 6-8 minutes.

Roll out the balls of dough, to form small circles. Place a scoop of filling in the middle, with water pinch the sides of the dough to form and X. Brush pastry with olive oil

Place on greased cookie sheet at 400 for 20 minutes.


29 comments:

  1. These vegan meat pies look totally delicious! I am reading through the list of ingredients and it's a little hard to imagine what they taste like - there are so many flavors! I guess I would have to make it and see for myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cooking Rookie! Thanks for stopping by, yeah I guess there is a lot of flavours in this recipe..but it works really well together :)

      Delete
  2. I love all the flavors in the filling, your pies sound delicious.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Lemon Almond Biscotti.

    Lisa~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I will totally check out your lemon almond biscotti :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your kind words Kirsten. I am really glad you enjoyed the dough recipe and I love seeing your vegan twist of Sfeeha
    It was a true pleasure to discover your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try these out. I will make one change...I'll use TVP insted of the Yves veggie ground round. As a vegetaian I don't like to eat anything that tastes remotely like meat, so I stay away from all meat substitutes. These look great. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks rooted! Your recipes look tasty too :)

      Delete
  6. Those look delicious! I love the idea of this secret recipe club, it sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie....It was my first go at the secret recipe club, and I really enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  7. Yum! sounds good. Welcome to the club. I'm in group D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kirstin! Thanks..I will check out group D for sure :)

      Delete
  8. I am intrigued- I have never had Lebanese food before. Definitely going to try it soon though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O you must!! It is really good, and it can be veganized :)

      Delete
  9. This looks so delicious. I have not had Lebanese food before either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome the SRC. I love this pick... I honestly would never have guessed these beautiful pastries were vegan if it wasn't right in the title! I'm always trying to find interesting new meat-free dishes, since I have so many vegetarian friends, so I have a feeling these will probably be making an appearance on my menu very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isabelle! It was a really fun experience joining SRC. I hope to find lots of cool food blogs and recipes in the future.

      Delete
  11. These look like some tasty eats! Would never have guessed they're vegan too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun recipe to make for the SRC! I love your little pockets and the photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you HC! I appreciate you stopping by:)

      Delete
  13. is this plain flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its unbleached white flour I used, but I am sure you could use whole wheat if you wanted to.

      Delete