Monday, March 5, 2012

Chai cupcakes



Lightly spiced these little sweet confections are just like a creamy chai latte with a fluffy whipped frosting, a treat for any day of the week.

Chai cupcakes

1 1/2 cup  flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup steeped black tea (with fresh ginger slices, cinnamon stick, a few cloves, and a couple peppercorns)
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.
Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners
In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients, whisk until blended.
Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl. Pour into dry and mix up.
Scoop into lined muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Chai frosting

1/4 cup earth balance coconut spread
1 cup icing sugar
1-2 tbsp almond milk
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp vanilla extract

With an electric mixer beat all ingredients until fluffy.
Spread onto cooled cupcakes

12 comments:

  1. Oh yum, I have to try these! I love anything chai-spiced. I wonder if these would be good with a little bit of espresso powder- like a "dirty" chai, as some places call them. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those sound so tasty... going to have to give them a try for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look gorgeous and anything chai is always delicious! I love Ruby's idea of adding espresso powder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! This sounds delicious! I love chai, and this ingredient list doesn't seem to crazy. Definitely bookmarking this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful are those cupcakes :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. O YES Ruby..a dirty chai cupcake! sounds like a great idea.

    Thanks Katie, I love it when friends visit my blog :D

    Thanks friends

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so amazing! And your frosting piping skills are pretty on-par. I do like the "dirty chai" idea... I'll have to try that out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound lovely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What could I use instead of earth balance coconut spread? We don't have it where I live =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would just use vegetable shortening or vegan margarine.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow - I am so thrilled to find these. I've had Chai spice on the brain, and have been playing around with recipes, but I love the idea of putting it in a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. do you have to whip the frosting for a very long time to achieve the smooth consistency shown in the photo? I whipped it with an electric beater for about two minutes and it still had an almost curdled texture...

    ReplyDelete