Sunday, November 27, 2011

Roots: vegan oatcake cookies


Living in Nova Scotia, there are things that you learn to appreciate. The humble oatcake cookie is one of  those things. Not quite a shortbread, and not an oatmeal cookie yet as much if not more tastier.

I find these in most bakeries and cafes across the province. These cookies have Scottish roots. Thinking there must be butter and egg in these....but nope just good ol'fashion shortening!

2 cups oats
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/3 cup hot water

Combine dry ingredients together in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter, blend in the shortening until crumbly. Add hot water and form into a ball. Roll out dough and cut into rounds. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.



4 comments:

  1. Mmmm! Definitely going to have to try to make these. I had not heard of them before but they sound and look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a crunchy looking cookie. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't know where to get vegetable shortening in my town in the Netherlands; do you suppose I could use coconut oil to make the oatcake cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvonne,

    Its worth a try? I would imagine they would taste great! I would even substitute a little coconut flake in replace of some of the oats. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete