Thursday, October 6, 2011

Split pea soup (slow cooker styles!)



This morning I rinsed some split peas and through them into the slow cooker with chopped potato,carrot, onion and couple of bay leafs. By the time it starts bubbling it fills the house with the most amazing "cottage diner" smell. I don't know how else to describe it? You know the kind of restaurant that is off the beaten track, with the home cooked menu mom and pop run. Yep that's the smell (without the grease!) haha

I love my slow cooker. I just throw whatever I want in it and turn it on high. Leave it for 5-6 hours, and a meal is usually made without too much fuss. If you are using dried beans...a little forethought is needed, they need to be soaked overnight. What is great about using dried lentils and peas is that they don't need to be soaked, just rinsed 3 or 4 times and there good to go.

Split pea soup (slow cooker styles!)

2 cups dried split peas
2 potato- peeled and chopped
2-3 carrots-peeled and chopped
1 medium onion- small diced
2 bay leafs
6 cups water
apple cider vinegar
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
fresh mint for garnish (optional)
vegan sour cream (optional)

Put everything into the slow cooker turn it on high ( except the vinegar, salt and pepper, save that for fine tuning). Let cook for 5 hours, stir it up. Season to taste.


leaf inspection

Over the last few days we have found some really beautiful leaves. We have made a collage with some (construction paper and glue), and I am thinking a stain glass leaf window with the other?  We ventured outside this afternoon for some leaf hunting and the little one said she wanted to go back in for a hot cocoa and some snuggles..its getting chilly!

showing off her collection



6 comments:

  1. Yum. I just discovered that I enjoy split pea soup last year. I thought I wouldn't like it, now I am crazy about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many meat-eaters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

    None, they'd rather stay in the dark about things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Not everyone thinks that is funny... While going vegan sometimes, all the time, or never is each individual's choice, it would do us all well to let other people make that choice without judging them for it. I would never go vegan, but that doesn't make my choice wrong (or yours), just not right for everyone. I hope you have already figured that out in the time since that "joke" was allowed in your comments, which in my opinion was poor judgement on your part.

      Delete
  4. I just love split pea soup and yours looks yummy. I usually add barley to mine but love the idea of the potatoes you added.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many does this serve?

    ReplyDelete