Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spinach & tofu stuffed pasta shells


Well I am still in limbo of a kitchen. BLAH! Its been an experience to have no kitchen sink, counter or cupboards. Basically I have a stove and a side board that holds all the important stuff. ( the popcorn popper is VERY IMPORTANT!) I am suppose to get the kitchen by the 5th of May, we will see. It feels like I have never had a kitchen in this house. I am not complaining...well okay maybe a little :P This pregnant lady is sick of lugging dishes up stairs and washing in the bath tub that is for sure. Anyhow I am super excited because I know when the kitchen finally gets here, I will be in heaven!!


Mark it on your calendars the Halifax crafters fair April 30th-May 1. Lots of cool things made by local artists! Its the week before mothers day, so bring mom and grandma!!




I recently came across the Daiya cheese at my local grocery store. Geesh I felt like I was living in the dark ages, with all the great recipes out there using it. I was so stoked to finally get to try it.  The only complaint I really have is that it has no nutritional value at all, but it is pretty tasty for vegan cheese :)



Spinach & tofu stuffed pasta shells

1 box of pasta shells- cooked according to package

Filling


1 block of tofu-crumbled
1 package of frozen chopped spinach- defrosted and drained
1 cup of Daiya mozzarella 
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp  dried basil
 2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion- small diced
4 -6 mushrooms- sliced
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
sea salt
freshly ground pepper


In a bowl combine tofu and spinach add yeast and herbs and stir.
With a pan saute onions and mushrooms in olive oil, deglaze with red wine vinegar.
Add onion and mushroom to tofu mixture. Season with sea salt and pepper.
Be generous with the salt!


Once shells are cooked stuff with filling. On a baking pan add about 1 1/2 cups worth of tomato sauce. Place shells on top and cook for 30 minutes at 350. When serving add heated tomato sauce to the top.





1 comment:

  1. Good news about your kitchen! I am sure you ARE tired since I can imagine it. Lovely dinner. So you finally got to taste the infamouse DAiya. It is good for treats!

    ReplyDelete