Monday, January 17, 2011

Tropical Island coconut cake


Its been awhile since my last post, getting back into the swing of things after the holidays has been a bit of a struggle. We are starting the renovations to our home this week including the kitchen. I am not sure what to expect as I have never done anything like this before. I am assuming that my kitchen will have limited use for the next few months. Perhaps a few more raw recipes :P


Edward and Sons sent me another box of goodies to try out, including a bag of organic coconut flour. I have never worked with it before, so I was sort of unsure of how to use it. When I opened the bag I got lost in the sweet smell of coconut. The flour has a course powdery texture. It is also gluten free but because my family and I are not sensitive to gluten I cut it with all purpose flour.  They also sent me organic coconut flakes, which are crazy good! I toasted them a little for the topping and "glued" them on with this coconut spread I picked up in Quebec. Spread some blueberry jam in the middle  and made a quick blueberry sauce and put it all together to get this....



Coconut Cake Recipe

2 cups flour
3/4 cup Coconut flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup soy milk

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
Pour into a greased pan ( I used a round 8)
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the knife comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. mmm, that's a nice-looking cake! i'd LOVE a slice right now!=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks so delicious! The ingredients list and directions are so simple and that is a huge plus! Looking forward to you putting up some raw food recipes. I have a friend who has started on a raw food diet and to be sympathetic to her new dietary needs I would love to be able to have some items for her to snack on when she comes over to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a beautiful cake. Looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have some leftover coconut flour in the pantry that I should use up. Clearly, this would be the best recipe for that purpose. What a wonderful cake!

    ReplyDelete