Monday, November 15, 2010

Sloppy joes

 
This weekend was nice, we had some beautiful sunny days and my dad is visiting. We did a few things around the house ( installed a programmable thermostat and a new outside light fixture), my dad took me out for dinner, we also drove to our favorite beach in Nova Scotia.

"THE beach"

my girls playing on a buoy




 banana bread

I didn't cook much this weekend mostly we ate leftovers and spaghetti,  but I did make those owl cupcakes and a mean loaf of banana bread :)

I wanted to start the third week of Vegan MOFO with some kid friendly food and my daughter asked me to make sloppy joes. I checked the web for some ideas and found some great lentil recipes.  I think that this is great if you have a bunch of vegetables that need to be used up. I used carrot, celery and green pepper, but you could use grated zucchini, sweet potato, etc. The great part about sloppy joes is that you can add anything!

3 cups cooked  lentils ( I used green)
2 tbsp canola oil
1 onion- small diced
2 cloves garlic- minced
4 stalks celery-small diced
1 tbsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 green pepper- small diced
2 carrots- peeled and grated 1/3 cup ketchup
1 tbsp black strap molasses
1 can crushed tomato
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
sea salt ( I used about 1 1/2 tsp)
freshly ground pepper

Sesame seed buns


In a large pot heat oil add onions
Saute until soft. Add garlic, celery saute until soft
Add spices. Stir until absorbed
Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low heat.
Season to taste.

Toast buns, scoop on lentil mixture. ENJOY! yumyumyum

  This use to be just a light bulb sticking out of the wall, my dad is AWESOME!!

2 comments:

  1. i loooove lentils! must try this recipe! thanks for sharing, kirsten.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try this recipe. Your daughter had a great suggestion. Sloppy Joes are great kid food.

    ReplyDelete