Thursday, November 4, 2010

Borscht


Yes I know....another soup. I guess I am on some sort of soup binge because I went to the fruiterie this afternoon and kept grabbing things to make different soup with. I like making soup, it makes the house smell good and small clean up ( one pot). I can start it early and leave it on the stove for dinner. Plus it usually will last until the next day for lunch.

Sometimes it nice blended but I decided to grate the beet and cabbbage, eat it chunky style.

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion- sliced
2 cloves garlic-minced
2 medium beets- peeled, grated
2 small potatoes- peeled. grated
2 cups red cabbage shredded
7 cups vegetable stock or water
1 tbsp dried dill
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
freshly ground pepper
sea salt
fresh parsley- chopped

In a large pot heat oil add oinon and garlic- saute until soft
add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. simmer until veggies are done (not mushy)
season with sea salt, pepper and parsley.



3 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely Kirsten! I have this on my list of things to make and had yet to make it! I would have to make this when hubs not at home.
    :( Such a reoccuring theme eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had borscht before but I am a huge beet fan so I have no doubts that I would love this! I love the vibrant color. Be sure to check out my blog to enter my giveaway!
    http://imapretendchef.blogspot.com/2010/11/we-have-our-first-pretend-chef-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about making this. I just learned about it 2 weeks ago. Was it good? I do like beets in my salad but I don't know if I would like a soup of it. Or maybe I would..so confused if I should try this

    ReplyDelete