Saturday, October 2, 2010

Weekend vegan breakfast




I can never have too many fresh veggies in my fridge! I had no idea what I was going to make when I stepped into my kitchen this morning.  I opened the fridge and started from there. Mushrooms(check), red pepper(check), onion (check), potatoes (check), tomatoes (check), avocado (check), a very small piece of tofu that we had used yesterday (check).

Yes there are a few steps in this recipe but it was fun! First I grated up 3 medium sized potatoes, placed  in a bowl of water. Once everything was chopped and ready to go I drained the potato of the water. Grated 1 onion, chopped 1 tbsp fresh parsley, 2 green onions sliced ,1 tbsp flour,1 tsp baking powder,1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, sea salt, freshly ground pepper. Mix it up. In a hot pan add oil, and make a patty sized amount of potato mixture fry both sides. Place on a baking sheet and in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes.

Next with the same pan that you used to fry the potato, drain off any excess oil. On medium high heat add 1/2 small diced onion, 5-7 mushrooms sliced, 1 red pepper small diced, 1/2 cup crumbled tofu, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, pinch of cumin powder, 1/2 tsp sea salt, and 1/4 cup water. Cook it down until all the water is absorbed.

The salsa is the easiest part...1 tomato cut into quarters, place it in a food processor, a handful of fresh cilantro, 1 clove garlic, and sea salt. Blend until desired consistency.

Layering potato, tofu, salsa, potato, tofu, salsa. For the top I cut up a little avocado.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks really, really good. I'm always looking for something yummy to make for breakfast (usually I end up with waffles) and this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a breakfast of champions! I like a little savory once in a while--this is one to save for sure! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I love how you used all those vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's gorgeous! And it sounds delicious, too. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete