Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lemon poppy seed cupcakes


It is a happy day for me because this afternoon my new stove was delivered!  What could be better than cupcakes to celebrate this joyous occasion? The great thing about this recipe you can leave out the frosting and have great lemon poppy seed muffins. This was my first time using egg re-placer and I am still undecided if it's a good thing?



2 cups flour
3/4 cup organic sugar
1 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp sea salt

1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
1 1/2 tbsp pure lemon extract or 2 tbsp lemon juice
1 egg replacement
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp white vinegar

Add wet to dry and mix until all combined. Spoon into a greased muffin tin and bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until cooked ( test with a sharp small knife by inserting into the muffin, if it comes out clean there done!)

Frosting..I usually just eyeball it, but here is a good idea.

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup organic icing sugar, plus a little bit more :P
2 tbsp vanilla soymilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt

With a mixer combine everything and blend until fluffy. Adjusting the taste to your preference

5 comments:

  1. Kirsten! These look super delish! I feel the same about egg replacer stuff--sometimes I try other things--but it works in a pinch! Like when I just HAVE to bake--which happens quite often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh..frosting! That's different! I like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking cup cakes. Trouble is, I wouldn't just stop at one! I love the combination of lemon and poppy seed. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great idea! These look like a perfect treat - - even without the frosting. BTW - I started using ener-g egg replacer a few years ago - - No one has ever complained. I think it works great. :)
    Carla aka Mrs. NoNo
    mrsnonoknows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete