Saturday, September 18, 2010

Roasted carrot, chickpea & basmati rice salad


I was invited to a potluck party this evening, I wanted to make something that didn't need to be heated up but still packed a good protein punch. I have a book that I regularly look to for inspiration, Culinary Artistry. It doesn't have recipes, what it does have is a list of different foods and spices and what they pair well with. Very helpful.

I had a bunch of mint that I wanted to use up, and when I looked at the pairings the word carrot spoke to me....I had some local carrots in my fridge.

I like roasted vegetables but I don't like overly roasted ones..hehe
So this is what I came up with...I had a few taste testers on hand and they gobbled it up.

1 cup cooked basmati rice
1 red pepper- small diced
1 stalk celery- small diced
1 1/2 cups chickpeas
1/4 cup chopped mint

Combine ingredients in a bowl

2 carrots- peeled and sliced
drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with cumin powder, dried mint, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and a splash of maple syrup.

In an oven at 375 roast carrots for about 25 minutes or until soft. Combine with rice.

Dressing

1 tbsp 3-6-9 oil
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp dried mint
1 clove garlic-minced
1/4 tsp paprika
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp maple syrup
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

In a mason jar combine ingredients and shake up. Pour over salad

6 comments:

  1. Great stuff! I keep learning new things every time I come back to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try this one soon Kirsten - let's get together!

    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay that book about artistry and cooking--I'm so getting that because I could really use some help in the "herb pairing" department--awesome looking dish, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassandra :) thanks!

    Edie, Yes lets go for a walk!

    Kelly, if you like cookbooks this is a great one to add to your collection. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like salad and also basmati rice, so therefor i really like this recipe and also like it because this dish have low fat ingredients. Now the days when we don't work hard or don't go for walk or jogging there is always a fear to be fatty. So i can say that it is very good and easy make dish, everyone can cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this salad for lunch today and it was fantastic. I did add some chopped spinach to it. Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete