Sunday, September 26, 2010

Black bean Tostada

I love Mexican type food. It always seems so fresh and healthy, which is something I strive to feed my family with. I started with some black beans and went from there. The avocado cream is something new and wanted to do a little experiment with.

Speaking of experiments...I got this amazing book at the library. ALINEA. It is a cookbook from the famous Chicago restaurant. I was excited when I checked my email this morning and it said it was ready for me to pick up. This book...the pictures are a work of art! The pictures are SO beautiful, its hard to believe it is food. If you have a good library, I recommend you check this book out. Its not vegan, but is unbelievable where food has come.
Back on topic both my blenders are broken. The big glass one broke because I left a fork in it when I turned it on and it broke the glass. My hand blender I broke this evening when I was mushing up the beans I had it plugged into the stove top outlet, and the cord rested on a hot burner. There was a HUGE spark and the lights flickered through out the house. I am mad at myself because both of these "accidents" could of been prevented. ARGH!  I guess I will be mushing beans by hand for now...

This was super simple to make and made the family happy which is always a +.

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion- small diced
3 cloves garlic-minced
1 1/2 cups black beans
1 small tomato- chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin powder
3/4 cup water
sea salt

In a medium sized pot heat oil, add onion and garlic. Saute until soft. Add spices stir to coat onions. Add beans, water and tomato. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes. Puree and season to taste

For the tostada part I used a cast iron pan heated it up and placed a flour tortilla on it. Let it sit on the heat for a minute or two and then flip it.


  1. One of my favorite quick meals. Looks delicious!

  2. I am sorry about your blender. But personally, I love hand mashed refried beans. That tostada looks perfect.

  3. We have a lot of Mexican food (hubby grew up in NM) and I am always looking for new meals to add to the rotation. That looks great!

  4. black bean tostada are delish! your pictures are amaizing:) thank you for sharing this.