Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tortilla Soup


One of the most amazing tasting soups ever! I like mine mild, not to spicy, but you could always kick it up a notch with some extra chipotles.

I make my chipotles with dried ones that I soak, cook them with onion and garlic, spices and a blob of tomato paste, blend them up and store it in the freezer in small containers.

I have also switched from canned to dried beans, they are way more economical if you use beans as much as we do. I usually have a bowl of beans soaking in the fridge, even if I am not sure of what I am going to make. Always soak more then you need, freeze what you don't use, that way when you are in a jam you can always grab some from your freezer!

  • 2 tbsp veggie oil
  • 1 medium onion-small diced
  • 3 cloves garlic-minced
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 can crushed tomatoes
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 cube veggie bullion
  • 1/2 red pepper-small diced
  • 2 tbsp ground chipotles
  • 1 cup pinto beans
  • 1/2 lime juiced
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 cup fried tortillas- chopped into small pieces (about 2 tortillas)

  • 3 tortillas-folded in half cut into thin strips
  • 1/3 cup veggie oil

In a large pot heat oil, add onions and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Add corn and spices.
Add tomato, water, bullion. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add pepper, chipotle, beans.
Season with lime, salt and pepper. Add tortillas and simmer for 5 minutes

In a fry pan ( I like to use a cast iron) heat oil to medium high heat. Add tortillas. Using tongs flip around in pan until golden. Remove and sprinkle with salt.

Optional garnishes: Fresh cilantro, fresh parsley, & avocado (these are super tasty and highly recommended :)

Printer Friendly: RECIPE







7 comments:

  1. Oh yummers! I am off to read the Chickpea Noodle soup post.
    May I just add that dried beans are better for you too because they are not floating in BPA plastic lining. :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made a veg version of this -- but it looks really really good. I'm going to have to bookmark this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe! I gotta say, I am getting pretty tired of my veg chili. It's good but I need to change it up :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kirsten! Thanks so much for popping by with the bars!! It was terrific to meet you and your wee daughter:) I've even posted about it!!!
    Cheers, Shelagh :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always appreciated a good bowl of tortilla soup when I have a nasty cold. The spiciness means more vitamin C intake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your tortilla soup, the avocado must taste very good with the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm... I've never made a veg version of tortilla soup. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete