Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Its a dogs life...

We said goodbye to a family member yesterday,this is Na-quoya. A beautiful old soul. 1995 -2010, born in the woods of the most beautiful place on earth Tofino, BC. Na-quoya was her own dog, never needed a collar or leash. She would wait faithfully for you no matter where you left her. 
Always there. Always in my heart.
 

This is a recipe for doggie biscotti, to celebrate her life, and for all the doggies that touch our lives. She was the best dog in the world and will be missed dearly. It is from the Rebar cookbook. This was my go to cookbook (pre-vegan), everything I have ever made from it turned out great,along with these dog cookies. I didn't always make them biscotti style. Sometimes I would roll out the dough and make cute cookie cutter shapes. You could change it up, veganize it. Using flax as egg replacer, maple syrup instead of honey. She loved her cookies!


Doggie biscotti 

  • 1 cup unbleached flour
  • 3/4 cup oat flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup cracked wheat
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup rye flour
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup milk powder
  • 1 tbsp kelp powder
  • 2 tsp brewers yeast
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 3 tbsp peanut butter
  • 4 garlic cloves,minced
  • 1/2 grated carrot
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil

In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, mix together all of the remaining wet ingredients.
Blend wet with dry until well combined. Form into 2 separate balls and shape each into an oval- shaped log.
Place on baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake 250 for 35-45 minutes, until golden brown.
Let logs cool, then cut them into slices at an angle (as in real biscotti) and place on a baking tray and bake at 325 for 6 minutes. Turn them over and bake for another 6 minutes. Let cool before storing.

12 comments:

  1. Losing a pet is always heartbreaking. My thoughts go out to you and you family. Na-Quoy sounds like she was a wonderful and special friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelagh... your kind words help.She was a great dog, and she will be in my heart forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. As I sit here with tears rolling down my face I remember so well when we lost our chocolate lab. The void that we all felt seemed like it lasted forever. In fact it took us well over a year before we broke down and got another pup.

    Keep your chin up. You'll never forget your buddy but as the days pass it will get a bit easier to bear.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about your dog... She was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so sorry for your loss, but so happy you got to spend so much time with your beloved doggie! Sounds like she was given a very loving life and I am sure she gave you much in return.
    Peace to you and your family.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your beautiful pup. I bet she was so happy and misses you just as much. Today is our dog's 6th birthday. I'll definitely make him some biscotti :) in honour of yours. Thanks for sharing your loss and the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a hard thing to go through. I'll be sending you positive energy! You'll always keep her and the fun memories you had together close. Hope you're doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for your loss. Celebrating her life is great way to help :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must say that I am in tears for your loss--I am so sorry. What a face on this girl. I am sure you will need time to heal and think fondly of her--she just appears to be the kind of dog we all should have--precious and sweet and so grateful you had her in your life. When I "go"--I want to be where all my canines "went". No question--let my eternity be with the dogs. I am sending a big hug for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for your kind words...We had a beach fire in her memory last night. It was an amazing night, stars filled the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww, she was such a great dog! I cried when I read this, I was on Katie's blog and saw the link for this, great to see! Hope you are all well and happy! Nadia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nadia...she was a great dog, the BEST dog! She is hanging out on a beach somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete