Thursday, November 12, 2009

Potato & Leek Soup



This is one of the easiest soups to make. The thing about leeks is that you want to buy leeks that have the longest white part, sometimes you can get bunches of leeks but they have a little white part, but the white part is the best part of the leek and its what you want to use in your soup. You can save the tops to make a stock:)

  • 2 tbsp vegan butter ( I use earth balance)
  • 1 small onion-chopped
  • 2 leeks-chopped (using the white-light green part only)
  • 2 cloves garlic-minced
  • 5-8 small potatoes-peeled and chopped
  • water-to cover
  • 1 tsp dried dill (if you have fresh you use it, I didn't have any in my fridge:)
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley- chopped
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper

In a large pot, melt butter, add onion ,leeks and garlic, saute for 4 -5 minutes until soft. Add potatoes, and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes and soft. Add dill. Blend in a blender in batches (only fill the blender half way, to avoid accidents!)
Pour back into a pot, add parsley and season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite soups. I have also added this post to Stumble Upon.

    Regards,
    CCR =8~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children love this soup. A friend taught me how to cook it. Now I agree that it's such an easy soup and good for vegetarians or children too.

    ReplyDelete