Monday, September 3, 2012

weekending

I still have another full year of weekends alone,
and weekdays....meaning I am the only caretaker.
Strength. That is what I see.

Lots of time spent hanging around the house,
noticing the things that need to be finished.
paint, floors, walls, dirt, weeds.
Hard to do when you have your hands full.



So we go to the beach.
I suppose I should be doing all 'said things' instead of typing.

Which I do...I just needed a break.

Been enjoying the home-made chai that Ocean has been brewing,
Huge pots of it, simmering on the stove.
She is trying to perfect the recipe.
I just get to sip it.


Finally dusted off the picnic basket my mom and dad gave me for my birthday,
about 3 years ago.
We had fun, just us girls.
Even busted out the BBQ, and grilled some veggie dogs!






Wheelbarrowed 4 yards of dirt over to my veggie garden.
This dirt has been sitting in my driveway for weeks, and every so often I get the urge to shovel seven or eight loads of it. 
Today was the day , I heard it whispering my name, so I finished it.
Perfect day for it. Not too hot, nice breeze all done before lunch time.
I am on it. ( or at least it feels that way)
Now to just get some of those raised beds built and I will be planting my garlic in a month or so. Super excited to have a veggie patch.
The kids are too. 

We made little DIY terrariums, neat idea.
Don’t know yet if they will keep alive, but it is worth a try.
Looking forward to autumn.
It is always so welcoming for me, the cool air, crisp leaves, and pumpkins.
How was your long weekend?





7 comments:

  1. being the lone caregiver can be taxing! i do hope you have friends or family to offer you help and a much needed break on occasion.

    keep us posted on the terrariums...those have been on my to-do list for a while but i've had the same concern ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No family in this neck of the woods, but I do have friends that I see regularly. It is important to stay connected for sure. He is back in a week for a week, which will be nice :)

      Delete
  2. Love that last photo of the terrarium! So cool! I hope they stay alive for you guys.
    It's nice to get out of the house and have some time in the sun. I am sure you will still be busy but hopefully things calm down a bit for you with school starting back up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! We have been lucky this summer..lots of sunny days. Definitely looking forward to having some quiet time around the house :)

      Delete
  3. What a sweet post. Just loved this. The gorgeous landscape--so peaceful. I spend a lot of time on my own with my kids, too. Only my kids are covered in hair and walk on all fours. Still--we keep each other company. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The landscape is quite lovely!!! I'm jealous!! I live in Vermont...quite a ways from the ocean, but there is a lovely lake nearby!! Kinda looks like an ocean...just no waves. Where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Connie, it is a lovely place to live:) I have always wanted to go to Vermont. I am in Nova Scotia, you should come visit are many beautiful beaches.

    ReplyDelete