Monday, February 6, 2012

Scottish oat crackers from Big Vegan and GF veggie pate


Since the holidays I have been making veggie pate at least once a week for my family. They LOVE IT! It lasts a few days and is ideal for sandwiches and crackers.


Gluten free veggie pate


1 cup sunflower seeds
1 large onion- peeled and cubed
1 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large sweet potato- peeled and cubed
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
freshly ground pepper

In a blender, grind sunflower seeds into a powder. Pour into large bowl
Place onion, water and oil in blender, until smooth. Add the sweet potato, and continue to blend until smooth. Pour into bowl with sunflower seeds. Stir in all the other ingredients and pour into a greased 8x8 cake pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350. Allow to cool. Keeps for a week in an airtight container.



I just borrowed a book from the library, Big Vegan by Robin Asabell. I like to try out recipes before I buy so when I saw that it was coming to our library I put it on hold right away. It is a BIG book...not as many photos as I would like, but lots of yummy looking recipes. This will be one of the new additions to my cookbook collection.


This afternoon after I put the veggie pate in the oven, I realized that we were low on bread. I have been meaning to make some crackers with Leeluu, and Big Vegan has some good recipes. My sous chef (Leeluu) helped me make  these. She really liked using the cutters and rolling pin! I think next time I will add some fresh herbs. Tasty.



6 comments:

  1. The paté sounds so good. Do you use the sweet potato raw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make pate like I make hummus, I need to have a container in my fridge at all times. There’s nothing worse then when you’re starving and there’s nothing to snack on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to order this book from our library too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made the pate and wanted to say thank you for sharing the recipe. It is simply delicious! I cannot believe how easy it came together and the scent in the kitchen was wonderful. Maybe I'll save some for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your welcome Melanie. I am so happy you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete