Saturday, January 14, 2012

Shiitake mushroom & ginger broth

Shiitake mushroom and ginger broth with veggies and TVP

Craving soup, I have been feeling a bit sluggish the last day or so. Shiitake mushrooms have been said to give the immune system a boost. I prefer to use fresh mushrooms, there flavor is not as intense as dried ones.

Seaweed is great, not only is it tasty but for vegans it is a great source of vitamins and minerals. I have lots of different kinds in my cupboard, my favorite is wakame. I find it works well in soups. I definitely recommend trying out a few types of seaweed to find one you like. There is lots of different uses for it...like kombu is good for cooking with beans. It allows the beans to be digested easier.

This soup broth is great for mixing in with noodles and fresh veggies. I also put some TVP slices in mine. Tofu would work well too.

dulse and wakame

Shiitake mushroom & ginger broth


5-6 fresh shiitake mushrooms- sliced ( you can even use the stem, just chop off the dirty part)
1 large thumb of ginger- peeled, sliced and julienne
1/2 small onion- sliced
1/4 cup tamari
1/2 cup wakame
5 cups water
drizzle of sesame oil

In a medium pot combine everything.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.


fresh baby bok choy

1 comment:

  1. This looks really delicious! I've been trying to use seaweed in my cooking more often and I love "hiding" wakame in soups. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete