Wednesday, January 18, 2012

3 carrots


After I was done painting the bathroom I was really craving cake ( I know.. weird). I didn't have any specific cake in mind until I started googling vegan cake recipes. Carrot cake caught my eye, I had to make sure I had most of the ingredients. I did!! I even had a little tofutti cream cheese left in the fridge for frosting.

This is the best vegan carrot cake I have made or eaten. Seriously. I had to change a few of the ingredients to what I had on hand. It called for orange juice which I didn't have. I did however have a half can of pineapple chunks from pizza night
(I ♥ pineapple pizza). I just gave them a little whiz in the food processor, but you could use crushed. I made it in an 8x8 glass pan, which takes a little longer to cook, but the pieces come out larger, which is good, for me.hehehe

Vegan Carrot Cake
adapted from : The New Me

2 cups flour
1 cup cane sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

1 tsp black strap molasses
3/4 cup crushed pineapple
3/4 cup olive oil
3 cups grated carrot

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 8x8 square pan. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients.
Mix wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Pour into dry. Stir well.
Pour into pan and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until knife/toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.

Cream Cheese frosting 


1/4 cup earth balace butter
1/4 cup tofutti cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
a few drops of almond extract

Using an electric mixer whip all ingredients together until light and fluffy.

8 comments:

  1. Kirsten! Looks and sounds amazing and the perfect size--I like a small carrot cake. Painting always makes me hungry for cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that looks really good! It looks so moist, and I love the fact that you used pineapple in it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if only i had waited a few more hours to see this before i snacked away the remaining canned pineapple from the pancakes i made! bookmarked for next time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, carrot cake! One of my favorites. Sounds great, especially with the pineapple. I almost always put pineapple on my pizza too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photo. So glad you liked the recipe! I need to make it again soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this gluten-free last night. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but my omni, gluten-loving roommate said it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete