Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tomato with rice soup

Tomato with rice soup

Most of the green tomatoes I harvested turned red. YAY!  I roasted them up and made a soup for lunch. The skin comes much easier I find when they are roasted opposed to blanching, plus the flavor is better. Once they are all squishy from the oven, let them cool and the skin just slides off.

10 large tomatoes- roasted, peeled and pushed through a sieve (to remove the seeds)
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion-small diced
2 stalks celery-small diced
1 garlic clove-minced
1 green pepper-small diced
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 bay leaf
2/3 cup white rice
5 to 6 cups water/ veggie stock
splash of balsamic vinegar
sugar
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Core tomatoes, place on a baking sheet in the oven. Roast for 30-40 minutes int the oven at 400. Once cooled peel skin off and push through a fine mesh strainer with a ladle or back of a spoon.

In a soup pot heat oil on low/medium heat, add onion, celery, garlic, and pepper with chili powder. Saute until soft. Add bay leaf and rice. Stir in the tomato juice. Add water or stock. Simmer for 20 minutes until rice is cooked. Season to taste with vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.



P.S. If the Sarah that entered the contest doesn't contact me..I will have to draw another name for the glass straws.

3 comments:

  1. This looks lovely and so simple too.

    I have just found your blog, it's gorgeous & I love the header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandee...my friend made the header for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good recipe..however I had to change it up a bit.. after sautéing the vegetables I then added stock and strained tomatoes along with a cup of tomato sauce.. I also had to lightly boil the vegetables to soften a little more, then added the rice.. I then cooked for 20-30 mins and added a dash of sugar, dash of balsamic salt and pepper.. those minor adjustments made a big difference.. wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete