Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Shepherd's pie with miso gravy


This is a great meal to make when you have lots of odds and ends of vegetables. I cleaned out the fridge and used some lentils that I had frozen in the freezer, fancied it up with some fresh chives from the garden! Easy to make for a weeknight meal.

First thing is to get your mash potatoes done. I like using earth balance butter and almond milk with a sprinkle of garlic powder.

Next in a pan saute your veggies and lentils ( or whatever legume you want to use) with some olive oil. Add herbs of choice...I like using sage and oregano.

Put the veggie mixture in a casserole dish


Spread the mash potatoes over the veggie mix. Scoop some earth balance butter on top. Place in an oven at 400 for 20 minutes. After the twenty minutes of cooking brown the top using the broiler element until golden.
 ( make sure your casserole dish is broiler safe!)


Serve with miso gravy!
Miso Gravy

2 tbsp sunflower oil
1/2 onion- minced
1 bay leaf
2 cups water
2 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp water
4-5 tbsp of miso paste mixed in a bowl with a small amount of water, to loosen the paste
3 tsp sugar
freshly ground pepper

In a small pot heat oil, add onion and bay leaf.
Saute until soft. 3 to 4 minutes
Add water and tamari, bring to a boil.
Add cornstarch mixture. Boil until thickens.
Turn down the heat to a simmer. 
Add miso paste. Whisk until smooth.
Season with sugar and pepper





6 comments:

  1. This looks really delicious and sounds like a great recipe to try sometime. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to clean out my fridge, too. And I never had a shepherd's pie. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is perfect for fall! Our town health food store just started carrying miso...finally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I've never heard of Miso Gravy! I'll definitely be giving that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um wow! hoe did I miss this post??? This looks so good. Comfort foood...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pie and gravy? I haven't tried that one yet. I am excited to whip up my own batches of this! I am sure it is worth all the effort.

    ReplyDelete