Thursday, June 9, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake



How do you know summer is on its way? STRAWBERRIES!!
They have to be local or you just can`t tell if the sunshine is on its way :P We were driving home and there was a table on the side of the road. I was so excited to see these babies that I did a skipping hop back to the car.



A simple way to enjoy fresh strawberries.

Strawberry Shortcake

For the shortcake

2 cups flour
3 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup soy milk

Preheat oven to 350
Mix the flour, sugar and salt together in a bowl.
Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two knifes.( it will look like little crumbs)
Add the milk and mix gently, with about 2 or 3 folds with you hands. (don`t over mix!)
Dump out on to a counter, pat down gently until its is about 2 inches high and 6-8 inches wide.
Cut out circle shapes. Place on a baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until done.

Hot Strawberries

3 cups of strawberries- sliced
1/4 cup of sugar

Pour into a small saucepan, heat gently. until saucy.

Assembly

cut shortcakes in half
pour hot strawberry sauce over and on top.
EASY!


4 comments:

  1. yum! i can't wait until the strawberries are ready here in a couple weeks! will make a mental note to return to this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy it's strawberry season. And I have never made strawberry shortcake. This looks like such a wonderful way to enjoy my favourite fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate one of these the other day
    wonderful, wonderful, wonderful
    One of the best I've tasted

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hopping back skip! Haha! I would do the same over strawberries and your shortcake. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete