Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lentil Loaf Leftovers


Lentil loaf is great to make for dinner, but the best part about it is when you have leftovers. It makes great sandwiches, almost like a pate. A slice of lentil loaf, lettuce, tomato, vegan mayo and a squeeze of mustard, on fresh bread served with a dill pickle. Feels like I am reading a deli menu.



  • 1 cup dried brown lentils-cooked
  • 1/2 cup brown rice-cooked
  • 2 tbsp-sunflower oil
  • 1 onion-small diced
  • 1 carrot-minced
  • 1 celery stalk-minced
  • 2 cloves garlic-minced
  • 2 tsp poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed-mixed with 6 tbsp boiling water
  • 2 tbsp dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 bread crumbs
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup ketchup

Cover lentils with water and cook until soft then drain them.
Cook rice according to directions.
On medium high heat in a saute pan, add oil, onion carrot, celery, and garlic, saute for 4-5 minutes, until soft.
Add poultry seasoning.
In a large bowl mix lentils and rice and onion mixture together.
Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing well to form a mushy consistancy.
In a greased loaf pan, pat down the mixture. Spread ketchup all over the top.

Bake in a 375 oven for 45 minutes








6 comments:

  1. This looks very good! I made bean burgers the other day for the first time. I would make this too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noelle...I made black bean burgers a couple days ago too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this would also be good with mashed potatoes and veg gravy. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beatrice.

    I love doing that! It's so yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this last night, but used mashed black beans instead of the lentils. It was awesome (even anti-veggie-Gino had to agree!). Only thing if I were to do it again, I wouldn't add the water. The beans must have more water in them than the lentils! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana...
    That's great using black beans...I don't add water to the recipe though, only to cook the lentils in and then I drain the water once they are cooked, and mix everything together.
    I guess I should fix that:P

    ReplyDelete