Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cinnamon Buns


I was planning on trying my hands at making cinnamon buns, and last night was the night! The kneading the dough was the toughest part...5- 10 minutes. I think I managed to do 7.Had to take my sweatshirt off to do it.

Kneading dough is an art all in itself.  So once the dough doubled in size, at least 2 hours I left it on the counter. Keep in mind I live in cold climate, so I am certain it would be less time if you lived somewhere warmer:P

Now most of my recipes are my own, or adapted from somewhere. But because I wanted a fool proof recipe, I googled the best vegan cinnamon bun recipe, and found this one...
http://www.thebestvegancinnamonbunrecipe

Seemed simple enough. So I put everything together and keep it in the refrigerator over night, so in the morning the smell of cinnamon was what got them out of bed:)

Rolls

2½ t active dry yeast
½ C unbleached sugar
1 C soymilk, warmed
2 eggs worth of egg replacer OR 2 T ground flaxseeds whisked together with 6 T hot water
⅓ C Earth Balance margarine, melted
4½ C unbleached flour
1 t salt

1 C brown sugar, packed
2½ T ground cinnamon
⅓ C Earth Balance margarine, softened

Frosting

About 3/8 (3 oz) of a container of Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
¼ C Earth Balance margarine, softened
1½ C powdered sugar
½ t vanilla extract
⅛ t salt

Mix yeast, sugar, and heated soy milk in a large mixing bowl and let stand until foamy.
Add egg replacer, melted margarine, flour, and salt. Mix well and knead for 5-10 minutes. The dough should be firm and smooth, not sticky. Set the dough aside in a covered bowl and let double in size.
After the dough has doubled, turn it out onto a floured work surface, cover, and let rest for 10 more minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with margarine and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 sections with a sharp knife.
Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. (A cookie sheet also works fine.) Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together Tofutti, margarine, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.
 



8 comments:

  1. Hi Kirsten! Thanks for coming and visiting my site! Did you like the cinnamon rolls? They look fantastic. Cross your fingers, I am about to bake some vegan crescent rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Noelle :)
    I will definitely make these again cause they were yummy! My fingers are crossed for your crescent rolls.(and my toes:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Thanks! They came out really yummy! Post to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kirsten! I love cinnamon rolls and yours look simply delicious--all that work in making them is well worth the time in my opinion! Your blog has been a stopping point for quite a while--I will add you to my blog roll as I love your recipes!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly,
    The buns were actually not much work. Except for the kneading, but if you had a bread machine...(which I would love :P), they would be easy.
    Thanks for adding me to your blog roll, I will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking cinnamon buns, Kirsten. I always say that a 10 minute knead is a good upper body workout, but nobody in my family believes me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These buns look amazing - waiting to try one when their made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cinnamom buns looks awesome. Whenever i go to mall, i always eat cinnabon. Looking at these rolls, i feel i soon have to try making them. They look heavenly!!!
    Gr8 job with pic too.

    ReplyDelete