Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tofu Cheese



This afternoon I am making pizza for lunch. I really don't enjoy the vegan cheese you can buy at the store. Something about it, just doesn't  taste right, and its expensive.  I learned this recipe from the one of restaurant I worked at, it's really good especially if you sprinkle it lightly over the tomato sauce, then add the toppings.
I will post a picture of the pizza in a little bit, but the dough recipe is on my blog already.

  • 1/2 block firm tofu- grated
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp garlic powder( depending on if you love garlic..like me)
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 lemon-juiced
  • 3/4 tsp sea salt
Grate tofu, place in a bowl, mix in the rest of the ingredients. I like to use my hands, try not to over mix it, otherwise it will lose the grated "cheese" look and be more like crumble.

1 comment:

  1. My husband ad I went raw for a while and as you say, vegan cheese is not so great and expensive, so I'll give this a try. We're currently eating meat again, but we often change so I'll keep you in my favorites!

    ReplyDelete